Childcare centers are reducing pesticide use.
Everyone knows healthy early childhood development is the foundation of a healthy life. Pesticide exposure in early age can lead to developmental disorders and other health problems. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that “children’s exposure to pesticides should be limited as much as possible.”
Good Neighbor Iowa
With the help of the Iowa Department of Public Health’s Childcare Nurse Consultant Coordinator, Good Neighbor Iowa has written a Lawn Care and Pest Management Policy that can be found here, or on the IDPH website.
- Good Neighbor Iowa Lawn Care and Pest Management Policy Online Pledge click here
- Good Neighbor Iowa Lawn Care and Pest Management Policy.pdf
Cedar Valley Preschool and Childcare Center values a healthy natural environment for children to explore and they practice that on their own property through energy conservation, and natural backyard environment that is pesticide-free.
Demonstrate to your community that creating a healthy lawn without herbicides provides a safe place for children to play. Good Neighbor lawns not only shelter children from harm, but protect streams and pollinators that work to make the outdoors beautiful.
Look who is leading…
- A to Z Learning Centers, Cedar Falls/Waterloo
- Cedar Valley Preschool and Childcare Center, Cedar Falls
- Learn & Play Preschool and Daycare, Cedar Falls center
- Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County (2 locations), Iowa City
- Waterloo Boys and Girls Club
- NEICAC Head Start Centers (9 childcare centers), Northeast Iowa
- Salvation Army: Waterloo
- University of Dubuque Childcare Center, Dubuque
- Apple Kids Childcare (2 locations), Cedar Rapids/Marion
- Waverly Childcare and Preschool
- Shell Rock Childcare and Preschool